Re: More re odditie [Was: regular expressions that match nothing]

From: Mattias Engdegård
Subject: Re: More re odditie [Was: regular expressions that match nothing]
Date: Thu, 16 May 2019 22:31:35 +0200

16 maj 2019 kl. 20.35 skrev Michael Heerdegen <address@hidden>:

> BTW, while we are here: I'm also curious whether we want to add
> nl, newline -> "\n" to rx.  I mean we have nonl and space - only for
> newlines one needs to use string syntax in rx.

Maybe, but there is no special name for any other literal string. `space'
doesn't mean the space character but [[:space:]], or \s-, whose exact meaning
depends on the current syntax table. (Which is sometimes very surprising; look
at rfc2047-syntax-table!) `nonl' has plenty of legacy -- the name is from SRE,
and even in string regexps it has a special convenience symbol.

I would much rather see a clean, robust and expressive extension mechanism for
rx (`rx-constituents' does not count). There are various hacks and libraries
but it probably needs to be integrated.