Re: debbugs extensions

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: debbugs extensions
Date: Fri, 17 May 2019 09:30:52 +0200

Noam Postavsky <address@hidden> writes:

Hi Noam,

>> For the records, the part of the search engine which is used inside the
>> SOAP API was written by me, and brought to debbugs.gnu.org. I've asked
>> the Debian BTS guys for merging upstream; there hasn't been any positive
>> answer ever.
>
> In the master branch of Debian's debbugs, there are some changes to
> use an actual database; the main motivation, as far as I understand,
> is to improve searching. So maybe if we incorporate that stuff the
> searching can be improved (it's not part of the debbugs that Debian is
> currently using, I think, which is what I'm currently targetting for
> rebase).

It's not only about performance. It's also about false hits. If you
apply debbugs-gnu-search for "flymake", in the package "emacs", you get
1009 bugs. Most of them are not about a flymake problem, but they are
hit because "flymake" belongs to the list of features, compiled by
report-emacs-bug automatically.

This shall be improved by excluding such false hits, because you want
only the bug reports about flymake problems.

Best regards, Michael.