Re: Towards a cleaner build

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: Towards a cleaner build
Date: Fri, 17 May 2019 15:41:36 +0200

Lars Ingebrigtsen <address@hidden> writes:

> (defun minibuffer-completion-contents-1 ()
>   (declare (obsolete nil "24.4"))
>   (minibuffer-completion-contents-2)
>   (buffer-substring (minibuffer-prompt-end) (point)))
>
> (defun minibuffer-completion-contents-2 ()
>   (declare (obsolete nil "24.4"))
>   (minibuffer-completion-contents-1)
>   (buffer-substring (minibuffer-prompt-end) (point)))

Oh, I think I understand now.  While compiling a function, we haven't
yet registered that it's obsolete.

And when -1 is compiled, it doesn't know that -2 is obsolete.  But when
-2 is compiled, it does know that -1 is obsolete, so it all makes sense.

But this means that as of present, if you have an obsolete function in a
file, and you call it from a function defined before that obsolete
function, you won't get the warning, so this seems like a bug...