Re: Towards a cleaner build: arc-mode

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: Towards a cleaner build: arc-mode
Date: Sat, 18 May 2019 06:04:33 +0200

Lars Ingebrigtsen <address@hidden> writes:

> Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> We have get-byte nowadays, so I believe the first defsubst is not
>> needed.  You just need to catch errors, maybe.

For byte-after, I tried this:

(defun byte-after (pos)
  "Like char-after but an eight-bit char is converted to unibyte."
  (cl-assert (= (multibyte-char-to-unibyte (char-after pos))
                (get-byte pos)))
  (get-byte pos))

I then opened some archives (which will use byte-after all over the
place), and I got no assertion errors.

If you think it's OK, I can just replace all the calls to byte-after
with get-byte in arc-mode.el and remove the defsubst.