emacs-diffs

Re: [Emacs-diffs] /srv/bzr/emacs/trunk r105705: Tweaks to display-buffer

From: Chong Yidong
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] /srv/bzr/emacs/trunk r105705: Tweaks to display-buffer default actions; remove same-window-* autoload forms.
Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2011 14:35:19 -0400

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

> This is wrong: Those settings come from the caller, so they should be
> passed in the ACTION arg to display-buffer, they should not be set in
> display-buffer-alist.
>
> display-buffer-alist has to default to nil.

I intended to leave the behavior as close to Emacs 23 as possible,
(e.g. calling M-x display-buffer on *shell* would bring up *shell* in
the same window), but you are correct: the old behavior does not make
sense, so we might as well change it.

I've now changed all those callers to use switch-to-buffer and/or
switch-to-buffer-other-window.

> BTW it recently occurred to me that display-buffer-default-action
> should also default to nil, to make customization easier (Customize
> isn't good at recording "add this element at that place, and remove
> this other element").

No, it should be non-nil.  Otherwise, someone who wants to customize it
would have no working initial template.  Anyway, we might improve the
Customize interface for modifying alists.