emacs-diffs

Re: [Emacs-diffs] /srv/bzr/emacs/trunk r105705: Tweaks to display-buffer

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] /srv/bzr/emacs/trunk r105705: Tweaks to display-buffer default actions; remove same-window-* autoload forms.
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2011 20:32:17 -0400

>> BTW it recently occurred to me that display-buffer-default-action
>> should also default to nil, to make customization easier (Customize
>> isn't good at recording "add this element at that place, and remove
>> this other element").
> No, it should be non-nil.

We disagree.

> Otherwise, someone who wants to customize it would have no working
> initial template.

The custom interface would provide choices.

> Anyway, we might improve the Customize interface for modifying alists.

The problem is not the alist part (which is likely to start as nil
anyway) but the list of functions "Move d-b-pop-to-buffer higher up the
list" is a difficult thing to obtain.  And saving the result will
hardcode the obsolete compatibility functions into his .emacs.
And what happens if she sets the list to nil?
No, I really think the default should be nil.  Much cleaner.

        Stefan