emacs-diffs

Re: [Emacs-diffs] /srv/bzr/emacs/trunk r107639: * lisp/window.el (switch

From: Sam Steingold
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] /srv/bzr/emacs/trunk r107639: * lisp/window.el (switch-to-prev-buffer): Do not switch to a visible
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2012 16:49:26 -0400

> * martin rudalics <address@hidden> [2012-03-22 20:10:47 +0100]:
>
>> I have been using this change for a few months and did not see any breakage.
>> Could you please be more specific?
>
> The Elisp manual states in section 28.14:
>

>    The following commands can be used to cycle through the global buffer
> list, much like `bury-buffer' and `unbury-buffer'.  However, they cycle
> according to the specified window's history list, rather than the
> global buffer list.  In addition, they restore window-specific window
> start and point positions, and may show a buffer even if it is already
> shown in another window.  The `switch-to-prev-buffer' command, in
> particular, is used by `replace-buffer-in-windows', `bury-buffer' and
> `quit-window' to find a replacement buffer for a window.
>
>  -- Command: switch-to-prev-buffer &optional window bury-or-kill
> [...]
>  -- Command: switch-to-next-buffer &optional window
>

> After your change this is no longer true when the same buffer is shown
> in different windows.  As an example, with emacs -Q do C-x 2 and next
> type C-h k RET.  Now in the lower window type C-x <C-left> and you will
> see the buffer *Messages* instead of the previously shown buffer
> *scratch*.  This makes working with two windows showing the same buffer
> just as messy as it was before.  In fact, it makes the entire idea of
> saving window start and point positions completely useless.

I don't think "useless" is the right word here, but I see what you are
saying - what I thought of as a bug is actually a feature.

Can we introduce a user option show-visible-buffer?
It should be either
- t for the current behavior or
- nil to disallow two windows with the same buffers completely, so that
switching to a visible buffer deletes the other window which shows it.

Or something like this...

--
Sam Steingold (http://sds.podval.org/) on Ubuntu 11.10 (oneiric) X 11.0.11004000
http://www.childpsy.net/ http://truepeace.org http://mideasttruth.com