Re: [Emacs-orgmode] A remember/notepad add on to org-mode

From: Philip Rooke
Subject: Re: [Emacs-orgmode] A remember/notepad add on to org-mode
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2006 21:33:44 +0000

> This feels to me like a short version of what remember does.

I am not quite sure that it is, primarily because I do not think there
is a way to customise the format of the headline that is inserted to
give the style of entry that Charles wants.

> Why don't you just use remember for this and get a link back to where you
> were when you decided to make this entry?

For a while I did use the org-remember way of jotting notes but in the
end gave up as it didn't seem to save me much time.  For example:

1. Typically the headlines in my "journal" are of the form

   * [2006-02-24 Fri 11:14] Something I have just thought of...

   I almost always use C-u C-c ! to produce that style of time stamp,
   which I like and which is consistent with the other active and
   inactive time stamps in my org files.  Unfortunately the remember
   function just uses current-time-string if it is automatically
   creating the headline which isn't really what I want.  If I
   enter the headline directly in the remember buffer (by starting
   with a *) then I have to manually create the time stamp or bind
   org-time-stamp-inactive to a key or some such thing and I have not
   gained much.

2. Similarly, I couldn't come up with a neat way to enter a
   scheduled/deadline TODO item through this method.  If for example I
   enter:

   ------
   TODO Something needs to be done
   ------

   in the remember buffer it ends up as an entry like:

   ** Mon Mar 13 09:50:23 2006 (TODO Something needs to be done)
      TODO Something needs to be done

   <file:~/docs/.notes>

   I then found myself editing this in order to turn it into a
   recognised TODO entry and also to delete the repeated text that I
   didn't want.  That really negated the speed of using the function
   in the first place.

I don't suppose though that it is easy to generalise what people
might want the remember function to do.  Personally I think I would
find something like the following useful.

1. Enter plain text like

   ------
   Something interesting I have just thought of...

   Blah, blah
   ------

   in the remember buffer and get an entry like

   ------
   ** [2006-02-24 Fri 11:14] Something interesting I have just thought of...

      Blah, blah

      <file:~/docs/.notes>
   ------

   in my notes file.

2. Enter text with some keyword in the remember buffer e.g.

   ------
   TODO Something I really must do
   ------

   and get an entry like