Re: [Emacs-orgmode] org-archive-done

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [Emacs-orgmode] org-archive-done
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2006 11:45:06 +0200

On Jun 18, 2006, at 9:59, Daniel J. Sinder wrote:

Carsten Dominik wrote:
On Jun 17, 2006, at 22:47, Daniel J. Sinder wrote:
I have just one final thought....and it's just a thought because I don't understand how org-mode is implemented.... What if, instead of archiving *moving* subtrees, it left them in place but *hid* them in a semi-permanent way. By that I mean, they'd be hidden just like the collapsing org-mode normally does, but they would never expand, unless a special show-archived-subtrees variable was non-nil.
this is a very interesting and original idea! I really like it. It would mean that subitems that are done remain in place, but don't use space on the screen. I am not sure if I like the term "archiving" for this. "Locking" seems to be better.

I'm glad you like this (and that it seems straightforward to implement). My only questions is this: If locking is an alternative (not replacement) to archiving, will locked items also be kept out of agendas and exports, like when archiving? My vote would be "yes".

OK, good point, this needs a bit more thinking. Which shifts it past the 4.38 release.

Thanks

- Carsten

--
Carsten Dominik