Re: [Orgmode] Show hierarchy above a heading

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Show hierarchy above a heading
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2006 09:57:52 +0100

On Sep 20, 2006, at 20:03, Daniel J. Sinder wrote:

With point on a nested heading, is there a way to show just the
hierarchy above?

Here's the scenario:  I have the following in an org file:
* Team Meeting <2006-09-20 Wed> 3pm
** Discuss Project Foo
*** TODO Ask about latest results

With the top heading collapsed so that the two below are hidden, the
3rd heading appears in an agenda.  Pressing <SPC> on it in the
agenda buffer highlights the original item in another buffer.  If I
change to that buffer, the point is on the item, but I can't see the
middle heading.  What I'd like to do is see the hierarchy above the
TODO item.  (Obviously not much of a problem for this simple
example, but for deeper hierarchies, it become more problematic.)

An alternative would be movement commands (ie, C-c C-u) that work
independent of the current visibility.

Is there a way to do one or the other of these?

When Org-mode exposes a match in an invisible part of a tree, it
can do three things:

- Just show the match (this is always a headline, and possibly
  text below the headline, if the match is located there).
- Show the hierarchy of headlines above
- Show the headline following the match

The first one happens always, the others depend on the setting of the
variables `org-show-hierarchy-above' and `org-show-following-heading'.
But as you noticed correctly, for the exposing caused by commands in the agenda buffer, only the first thing happens. I don't remember why I did it this way, and I will change this behavior and make it dependent
on the variables.

In the next version, the default for both options in all
contexts will be `t', so all three exposures will happen.  If you
need more control, you will be able to specify the value of
the two variables dependent on context.

- Carsten