Re: [Orgmode] Rounding in org-mode tables

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Rounding in org-mode tables
Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2007 20:25:21 +0200

On Aug 26, 2007, at 4:00, James Hawley wrote:

Hi!

I'm a relatively new emacs and org-mode user so I apologize for the basic nature of this question. Unfortunately, the answer is probably so obvious that no one has had to ask it before, and, as a result, I have not been able to find this subject in the mailing list. Of course, I may not be doing a good search, so please accept another apology.

Anyway, all I am trying to do is to sum a column of numbers in a table in an org file. Here's an example:

935.15
6483.80
7419.00
#+TBLFM: @16$4=vsum(@address@hidden);%.2f

The answer is obviously being rounded but I don't want that and I cannot figure out the undoubtedly trivial way to stop it so I get the answer that I want to see - 7418.95.

Thanks for any help anyone offers on this simple (but frustrating for me) question.

Org-mode uses a relatively compact output format for calc in order
to avoid that fields get too wide.  You can fix this by changing
the default format in `org-calc-default-mode' from (float 5) to (float 8)
or so, but that means each time a number is produced with many digits,
all 8 will be displayed.

The other option is to change the format on the fly, just for a specific
formula, using (again for example) an f8 flag, like

$4 = vsum($1..$3);f8

Hope this helps.

- Carsten