Re: [Orgmode] feature request: additional org/remember template escapes:

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] feature request: additional org/remember template escapes:
Date: Mon, 3 Sep 2007 18:06:10 +0200

On Sep 1, 2007, at 6:32, T. V. Raman wrote:

I've been using org with remember as my "Web Notebook" for the
last 18 months.

I browse exclusively from Emacs as an emacspeak user (w3 and W3M)
and this is an incredibly useful thing to have.

The one thing that prevents me from completely satisfied is the
set of available template escapes --
based on what  is possible, entries end up looking like:

** [[URL]] note

where "note" is what I typed in the remember buffer.

Ideally I'd like the above to be :

** [[URL][Note]]

Starting with 5.08, you will be able to use %A in the template.
It will insert the link, but explicitly prompt you for
the link description.

or even better, have the entry go in as a bullet rather than a
section header.

This is hard, because the whole note insertion of remember notes
is based on the outline structure.  No action for now.

Finally, I have never understood what the "inserted at level n
shifted by m" message means, could we come up with better
wording? I feel uneasy criticizing without a better suggestion,
but I dont understand what it means fully, and am consequently
reluctant to hazard at a better phrase.

A remember note is an outline entry, i.e. it has a first line
with one or many stars.  Notes are inserted into the existing
outline structure using the command org-paste-subtree.
The command is clever about adjusting the outline level of the
inserted subtree, so that it correctly fits into the local
hierarchy.  And to make sure the user understands what just happened,
it tells the user what the new outline level of the inserted item is,
if it hat to be shifted (i.e. promoted or demoted but removing or
adding stars) to get there.  At the time of implementation
this was more of a debugging feedback than anything else.

I guess this is reasonably useful feedback when using the pasting
commands explicitly, in an interactive way.  We could turn
off the message in non-interactive use like this (during remember
filing note storing).

For interactive use, how about the simpler:

"Clipboard pasted as level N subtree"

Would that be clearer?

- Carsten

--