Re: [Orgmode] Wish list: Storing links and enabling MIME actions on file

From: Bastien
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Wish list: Storing links and enabling MIME actions on files
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2007 19:24:26 +0200

Bernt Hansen <address@hidden> writes:

> I occasionally receive documents (like PDF files) in emails and I want
> to just save some of the attachments to a local directory for reference
> in my org file (usually because the email contained half a dozen
> documents and only 1 is interesting.)

One idea is to be able to add a search string in email link types.

For example: [[gnus:nnml.orgmode#6548::org.pdf]] would fetch the mail
#6548 in nnml.orgmode Gnus group and search for the string "org.pdf" in
the body of the mail (this could also be a regexp). Then RET will open
this PDF attachment with the right app.

> I'd like to be able to link to the file easily for my org document and
> have it invoke the appropriate viewer as defined in my MIME setup.

Org uses the local mailcap setup to decide what application to open a
file with.  Don't you have this on your computer?

~$ man mailcap

> I'm wondering if there is a way to create a [[file:...]] link easily
> by browsing for the file

M-x org-store-link in dired-mode will store a link to the file under the
point. But maybe you already know this and I missed the question...

Bastien