Re: [Orgmode] property searches for #+CATEGORY

From: Adam Spiers
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] property searches for #+CATEGORY
Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2007 14:28:05 +0000

On Wed, Nov 07, 2007 at 02:59:35PM +0100, Tim O'Callaghan wrote:
> On 07/11/2007, Adam Spiers <address@hidden> wrote:
> > On Wed, Nov 07, 2007 at 02:23:12PM +0100, Tim O'Callaghan wrote:
> > > It would seem to me that this is exactly what tags does.
> > > You could move everything down a level and use tag inheritance:
> > > * personal stuff :personal:
> > > * work stuff :work:
> >
> > I could, but this would mean that each file would have a single
> > top-level entry, and the entire contents would be indented an extra
> > level, which I fear is a rather unattractive solution!
>
> It's the technique i've been using, and yes, it is unattractive.
>
> When i thought of tags, it was not explicitly for GTD context
> specifier, it was also for adding searchable metadata to a todo node.

Same here.  I used tags for a lot more than GTD contexts, e.g. also
for a rough ETC and to group them by areas of responsibility.
(N.B. Sometimes a task can be motivated by multiple areas of
responsibility, so subheadings aren't good enough.)

> How about adding the context to the tag table with a prefix character, say #?

I don't follow you, sorry.  Perhaps I should state explicitly that my
need to distinguish between 'work' and 'personal' categories has
nothing to do with my use of GTD contexts.  I can (and do very often)
work from home, and I also occasionally(!) do personal tasks from the
office.