Re: [Orgmode] Release 5.23a

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Release 5.23a
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2008 08:16:44 +0100

On Mar 11, 2008, at 4:00 PM, Richard G Riley wrote:

Xin Shi <address@hidden> writes:

Richard G Riley wrote:

On Mar 11, 2008, at 1:03 AM, Xin Shi wrote:

Hi,

Thanks for the release!

There is a bug which I got from an Email several weeks ago said it
has been fixed, but I still found it in the 5.23a. When export the
org file to html, emacs opens the .html file in the buffer. Since
the html file has already been saved, shall we not open it in
Emacs? Another reason that this matters to me is that I'm using the
nXhtml mode, whenever emacs opens the html file, (even in the
background buffer), it will load this mode and open the *nXhtml
Welcome* buffer in half window. :)

That is horrible bahavior, and you should start by writing a bug
report to the maintainer of that package....

The nxhtml welcome screen can be turned off in the nxhtml customize
group.

I found it:
(setq nxhtml-skip-welcome t)

Thank you all!

Xin

I think its worth pointing out in Lennart's defence that this option is there, and the welcome screen is there to ensure that the new user sets the necessary options necessary to regulate nxhtml's workings - it's not
a trivial package. AFAIK the welcome screen has a well flagged "setup"
button and then will not appear again after setting up the required
usage the first time.

Well, if uh a button is there then I will soften my criticism.  Truth
is I don't know this package, so I don't really know what it is like.
I am just extremely wary of software that interferes more that you have
asked it to do, those things annoy me extremely much.  However,
if it is a first-time usage thing with a clearly visible way how to get
this disappear - sounds better.

- Carsten

I'd also like to add it's one of the best packages out there for anyone
using mix-mode files (e.g a php file containing xhtml, php, js etc)
. The nxml completion works very well. The different mode hiliting is
good. The auto switch between language specific minor modes as you
cursor around is excellent. I had trouble recently with it but it seems
the bugs are pretty much ironed out now.

nxhtml and org-mode are my two main utility packages now.