Re: [Orgmode] Feature Request: property for the time part of a timestamp

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Feature Request: property for the time part of a timestamp.
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2008 17:07:56 -0700

If you get the latest git version,  take a look at the variable
`org-columns-modify-value-for-display-function'.

HTH

- Carsten

On Jul 25, 2008, at 5:33 AM, Jose Robins wrote:

Carsten Dominik wrote:
Hi Robin,

On Jul 23, 2008, at 9:57 AM, Jose Robins wrote:

I've been extensively using column mode in the agenda buffer to plan my day/week. I have columns set up for scheduled and deadline. However, I was wondering if it'd be possible to expose just the "time" part of the scheduled timestamp as a property so that I could have a column for the time part of the timestamp (without the date). This would allow one to look @ the daily agenda and schedule time for tasks with just that column without bothering about the date (after all I'm already in today's agenda; so there is no need to see the date).

This would in principle be possible of course, basically a filter when displaying the column.
Hi Carsten,
Would this filter be something that would be done on the source end? If so, would you consider adding it? :)

The GoogleTech talk has inspired me to start hacking into the source code a bit and contributing back. As a baby step, I'm thinking about modifying the column view to display custom date formats for the date column. Any pointers on getting me going on this?

Thanks mucho,
Jose

But

Also if it'd be possible to sort the column view based on that column's contents it'd be great. That way, all the tasks will be sorted based on the time of the day that the task has been scheduled for. I guess I'm trying to use the column view similar to the time grid.

This does not make sense becaue column view still uses the outline structure of your file.  Why don't you just use the agenda or a timeline view for this?

- Carsten

Not sure if others' sort of planning methodology would benefit from this or not. I'm open to other ideas  that folks may feel is more efficient for achieving this as well.

Thanks,
Jose