Re: [Orgmode] Incompatible change in latest push

From: James TD Smith
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Incompatible change in latest push
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2008 11:02:57 +0100

Hi Carsten,

On 2008-10-16 06:55:02(+0200), Carsten Dominik wrote:
> Hi,
>
> after a request, I just added a new variable
> `org-log-state-notes-insert-after-drawers' with default nil.
> This means that state change notes are now by default
> inserted again *before* any drawers.  This was the
> original behaviour, which changed temporarily in version 6.08.

I'm trying to figure out why anyone would want this behaviour. I first noticed
it when the clock and properties drawers in some of my org entries seemed to
disappear. After working out what was going on I decided it was a bug and wrote
a patch to fix it.

It makes no sense to me for the drawers in an entry to be swallowed up by state
change notes. The drawers are not part of the entry, not the note, and should
remain outside of the note. While having the drawers in the notes does not stop
org from finding them, it does mean that you can't tell at a glance if an entry
has clocked times or properties set as the relevant drawers will be hidden in
one of the notes and not visible when the entry is first opened.

For example, say you have a task as below:

,----
| * TODO Test
|   SCHEDULED: <2008-10-16 Wed +1d>
|   :PROPERTIES:
|   :LOGGING:  lognoterepeat
|   :EFFORT:   2:00
|   :OtherProperty: fish
|   :END:
`----

When the entry is initially opened it appear as below:

,----
| * TODO Test
|   SCHEDULED: <2008-10-16 Wed +1d>
|   :PROPERTIES:...
`----

If filing notes before drawers is enabled, the first time this is marked done
the properties drawer will be included in the note, so the next time the user
looks at it they will see this:

,----
| * TODO Test
|   SCHEDULED: <2008-10-17 Wed +1d>
|   - State "DONE"       [2008-10-16 Thu 10:45]...
`----

I imagine new org users will find it confusing when adding a note to an entry
makes their drawers appear to vanish. It confused me and I've been using org for
quite a while.

I have no problem with keeping this a configurable option so anyone who wants
the old behaviour can have it, but I think the default should be t.

James

--
|-<James TD Smith>-<email/address@hidden>-|