Re: [Orgmode] Re: How you can help

From: Avdi Grimm
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Re: How you can help
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2008 14:41:32 -0400

On Fri, Oct 24, 2008 at 12:27 PM, Manish <address@hidden> wrote:
> Let me take a step back and think aloud why we need a bug-tracking and
> testing system (if only to clarify my understanding) and who/when does
> it help.  Following scenarios come to mind (and how they can be
> handled best (again only my limited understanding)):

First of all, bug tracking are completely separate beasts, and should
be considered separately.  You can have either one without the other.

Second:  I don't care as much about bug tracking, except for the
following case: if there is a bug tracker and I'm feeling bored and
want to contribute a little, I'll check it for something that I think
I can fix.  If there is no such list, I won't do this, and I'll
contribute less.  I do *not* follow the mailing list closely enough to
pick up bugs from there except by sheer chance, and this is not going
to change.  I really don't care where or how the list is kept, so long
as there is a list.

Third, regarding testing.  I'm a coder, I know some ELisp, I *love*
org-mode, and I would like to contribute.  That said, I am completely
uninterested in doing manual QA for Org.  I am not going to go
clicking around just to look for broken behavior.  I have neither the
time nor the interest.  However, if there is an automated test suite I
can promise you that a) I will run it before submitting any change I
make; and b) I will add new tests to cover any functionality I add.

However, you should take all of this with a grain of salt because I
haven't submitted any code at all yet.

--
Avdi

Home: http://avdi.org