Re: [Orgmode] Seeking further clarification of org-refile-targets variab

From: Matthew Lundin
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Seeking further clarification of org-refile-targets variable
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2008 07:43:43 -0600

Hi Charles,

Charles Cave <address@hidden> writes:

> I am having trouble understanding the help text for org-refile-targets.
> I don't know what a "cons cell" is and I would like to see some examples
> of customising the variable.
>
> For example, how can I specify headings of levels 1 and 2?
> I entered the value of
> (:level . N).
> in the customization prompt but now I get a message
> "No refile targets".

I believe you need to substitute a number for N, such as:

(:level . 2:)

But I think the setting you're looking for is:

(:maxlevel . 2:)

As I understand it, the difference between level and maxlevel is that
the level setting only offers level 2 headlines as targets, while the
maxlevel offers both level 1 or level 2 headlines as targets.

I think this is a good candidate for an FAQ entry. I'll put it up on
Worg.

> Perhaps some examples for non-Lisp programmers would be helpful.
>
> As org-mode popularity increases, the users are not necessarily
> Lisp-literate, and I have read messages from users willing to learn
> Emacs just to use org-mode!

Yes, as a long-time vim user, I was certainly in that category. And I
have to say that your very helpful and accessible tutorials were one
of the first things that drew me to org-mode (and emacs) in the first
place.

Best,

Matt