Re: [Orgmode] Keeping Your Appointments in org

From: Daniel Martins
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Keeping Your Appointments in org
Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2009 08:47:37 -0200

I have the same migration problem.

I still use Google Calendar to share appts with my students. Sometimes they mark an appt on certain dates etc...

My migration problem is threefold since I migrated from planner-el too and  I use remind a lot. I like wyrd for remote operation and I had remind - diary - ical and planner-el very integrated.

I posted an email about this topĂ­c a couple of weeks ago.

I sincerely think that org-mode would be improved from using remind. At least until org-mode have all the calendar niceties that remind provides for quite complex periodic dates and "strange" holidays and non working days. Remind is quite a powerful calendar parser.

Wyrd (a remind interface) is a clean interface to see appts and schedule even remotely.

Org-mode however exceeds remind, wyrd and planner-el as tool for organization as a whole.

An interesting aspect is that we can use the "remind path" to automate some of the conversion from ical (eg Google Calendar) to org-mode.

The ical -> org-mode could be done using the longer path

ical -> remind -> diary -> org-mode

Via

ical -> remind:  http://wiki.43folders.com/index.php/ICal2Rem

remind -> diary:   Sacha's rem2diary

diary -> org-mode:  (setq org-agenda-include-diary t)

the reverse path could be directly

org-mode -> ical

.reminders.org.deadline
.reminders.org.scheduled

However  to add all my appts in
.reminders.org.deadline and
 .reminders.org.scheduled
  from inside org-mode

I think that

org2rem
from Bastien

is lacking a few features such as timed reminders and generates a non completely compatible .reminders files

I have made some corrections and org2rem is working better now but it is still lacking to add appts with timestamps (ie with no SCHEDULED: or DEADLINE: tags)

If someone is also interested I cand send my version of org2rem

I hope this helps,

Daniel