Re: [Orgmode] POLL: the 40 variables project

From: Manish
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] POLL: the 40 variables project
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2009 23:26:37 +0530

On Thu, Jan 29, 2009 at 2:19 PM, Carsten Dominik wrote:
> Hi,
>
> yesterday I did this command in my org-mode git repo:
>
> grep defcustom lisp/*el |wc -l
>
> and got 378 as an answer. 378 user-customizable variables,
> no kidding.
>
> However, I bet that only about 10% of these are really used
> by more that one user :-). So when a new users starts digging
> into Org-mode, they simply must be confused by the amount
> of variables that can be set.
>
> So here is the idea: I would like to find out which variables
> users actually customize. This could be the basis
> for a great article on Worg, describing just these selected
> variables.
>
> In addition, I could make a special customization group which only
> contains those variables (Emacs allows to put a variable into several
> groups). It would be awesome to have, and a much easier start into
> customizing Org.

This is going to be very useful, IMHO.

> So here is my question to all of you. Could you, in reply to this
> message, list all the Org-related variables that you have customized,
> along with the values you used?
>
> If you want to do more, I'd also love to see comments on
>
> - why you set the variable like this
> - if you feel that the default value of that variable
> should be different
> - Any other comments you might what to give.
>
> Of course, if there is a volunteer who would like to organize
> this info into a Worg page, I would even be more happy ...

I am collating the information in the following format.

| Submitter | Variable | Value | Comment |

Further analyses like which were the most commonly customized variables,
their values etc. can then be derived from the listing (may be using R
or Excel.)  Ideas on how to better organize this data are welcome.

So far we have 13 responses.

--
Manish