Re: [Orgmode] POLL: the 40 variables project

From: Hsiu-Khuern Tang
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] POLL: the 40 variables project
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2009 11:44:56 -0800

* On Thu 08:49AM +0000, 29 Jan 2009, Carsten Dominik (address@hidden) wrote:
> Hi,
>
> yesterday I did this command in my org-mode git repo:
>
>    grep defcustom lisp/*el |wc -l
>
> and got 378 as an answer.  378 user-customizable variables,
> no kidding.
>
> However, I bet that only about 10% of these are really used
> by more that one user :-).  So when a new users starts digging
> into Org-mode, they simply must be confused by the amount
> of variables that can be set.
>
> So here is the idea:  I would like to find out which variables
> users actually customize.  This could be the basis
> for a great article on Worg, describing just these selected
> variables.
>
> In addition, I could make a special customization group which only
> contains those variables (Emacs allows to put a variable into several
> groups).  It would be awesome to have, and a much easier start into
> customizing Org.
>
> So here is my question to all of you.  Could you, in reply to this
> message, list all the Org-related variables that you have customized,
> along with the values you used?
>
> If you want to do more, I'd also love to see comments on
>
> - why you set the variable like this
> - if you feel that the default value of that variable
>    should be different
> - Any other comments you might what to give.

(custom-set-variables
;;
;; non-Org customizations omitted ...
;;
;;
;; some customized agenda commands, probably not widely useful:
;;
 '(org-agenda-custom-commands (quote (("A" "Agenda + NEXT + STARTED" ((agenda
"" nil) (tags-todo "NEXT" nil) (todo "STARTED" nil)) nil) ("S" "TODO list, skip
unscheduled and :waiting:" alltodo "" ((org-agenda-skip-function (quote
(org-agenda-skip-entry-if (quote unscheduled) (quote regexp) ":waiting:")))))
("U" "TODO list, skip scheduled and :waiting:" alltodo ""
((org-agenda-skip-function (quote (org-agenda-skip-entry-if (quote scheduled)
(quote regexp) ":waiting:"))))))))
;;
 '(org-agenda-log-mode-items (quote (closed state)))
 '(org-agenda-sorting-strategy (quote ((agenda time-up category-up
priority-down) (todo category-up tag-up) (tags category-keep priority-down)
(search category-keep))))
 '(org-completion-use-ido t)
 '(org-export-latex-remove-from-headlines (quote (:todo nil :priority t :tags
t)))
 '(org-export-with-LaTeX-fragments t)
 '(org-log-done (quote time))
 '(org-todo-state-tags-triggers (quote (("STARTED" ("NEXT")))))
)

I also added a new class "myarticle" to org-export-latex-classes that is the
same as "article" without the a4paper option.  I would vote for dropping the
a4paper option from the default class, and let the papersize be handled by the
local TeX customization.

--
Best,
Hsiu-Khuern.