Re: [Orgmode] Re: syncing org-mode files on three unconnected machines?

From: Matthew Lundin
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Re: syncing org-mode files on three unconnected machines?
Date: Mon, 09 Feb 2009 11:25:39 -0600

Hi Alan

Bernt Hansen <address@hidden> writes:

> I've never done this myself but it should be possible to put a bare git
> repository on the USB stick.  Then you push/pull changes to it when
> moving from one machine to the next.
>
> It would go something like this: (untested)
>
> On the USB stick - initialize a bare repository
>
> cd /path/to/usb
> git clone --bare /path/to/your/repo

I do precisely what Bernt outlines here so clearly and it works great. I
keep a bare repo on a USB drive and push and pull changes to it. (Magit,
an emacs mode for managing git commits and history, works wonders here.)

I haven't forgotten my USB drive yet, but if you're worried about that,
you could always put the repository on a server. Also, if I were to
forget the USB drive, I would simply create a branch and email myself a
patch or patches at the end of the day and then merge them with the
working copy on one of the other machines.

The beauty of git (or other distributed version control systems) is that
your complete history is in multiple places, so if you lose the USB
drive, you can simply get a new one and put a bare repository on that.
(Of course, if you're worried about data security, I wouldn't recommend
an unencrypted USB drive.)

Best,
Matt