Re: [Orgmode] time tracking common activities

From: David Bremner
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] time tracking common activities
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2009 08:35:00 -0400

J Aaron Farr wrote:

>I'm using org-mode to track my time on projects and todo items, but
>I'd also like to start tracking time I spend on things such as my
>email, reading rss feeds, etc.  I'd prefer to continue to use
>org-mode for that so that all my time tracking is in one place with
>one system.

>My current thought is to have a `diary.org` file that I keep tasks
>that don't clearly fit in any of my projects.  The file would look
>something like:

>    *** DONE Checking email                  :email:
>        CLOSED: [2009-02-20 Fri 18:56]
>        :CLOCK:
>        CLOCK: [2009-02-20 Fri 17:56]--[2009-02-20 Fri 18:56] =>  1:00
>        :END:

I don't see anything wrong with this, but I also don't see the need
for a TODO. Do you need to be reminded to check email?  You could just
make a headline, and clock on that.  Clocktables (or, maybe,
clocktable view in agenda mode) could narrow down e.g. time spent
reading email in one week.

I guess you would still have to think about comfortable ways to find
the right file/buffer and clock in there.

David