Re: [Orgmode] org-exp-bibtex.el - add support to citing bibtex in both h

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] org-exp-bibtex.el - add support to citing bibtex in both html and latex exports
Date: Tue, 3 Mar 2009 10:34:01 +0100

On Mar 3, 2009, at 7:33 AM, Taru Karttunen wrote:

On 02.03 10:40, William Henney wrote:
Selecting only some entries to display would be possible,
but is it really necessary? In my use cases I just tend
to have a per-article bib-file that contains the entries
I wish to use. Making a rich enough API to sort, reformat
and select a portion of a BibTeX file seems quite overblown
for org.

Personally, I use a single .bib file for everything, which is
currently running at 12269 entries, so something like Carsten's
suggestion would be necessary before org-exp-bibtex.el became useful
to me :)

Bibtex2html already comes with a separate tool "bib2bib" which seems
to already do exactly what is needed. See

Yes, it contains bib2bib and even the main bibtex2html contains
functionality for this.

Now how do we want to do this with org-mode?
1) The user is responsible for creating a bib-file using
whatever tools she prefers (e.g. bib2bib).
2) Add an option to just select the entries that are used
in the org-file. Nothing fancy.

I think (1) and (2) would be really nice.

3) Add a generic API to select+sort+format the entries.

(3) seems to be indeed more than necessary. I for one would be perfectly
happy if the entries would come out in the sequence of citation, which
will likely be automatic?

Both 1 and 2 are easy to do. I can create a patch that
adds support for this later this week. Are there any
other features that you would need?

For consistency with other HTML in Org's output, I think it
would be good if the div around the bibliography would be

instead of class.

- Carsten

- Taru Karttunen