[Orgmode] org-mode on sloooow computer

From: Eric S Fraga
Subject: [Orgmode] org-mode on sloooow computer
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2009 17:38:20 +0100

Hi,

I've been using org-mode more and more and, unsurprisingly, it gets
slower and slower due to the increasing amount of data org-mode has to
parse and evaluate.  On my desktop systems (and on my full-featured
laptop), this is not yet a problem [1].  On my little netbook (the
original eee pc from Asus which is used primarily for org-mode!), there
are some annoyances due to the much slower cpu.  I'd like to mention one
that I believe should be easy to fix (for those with much more elisp
expertise than my own...):

When in agenda view, when org-agenda-goto-date is invoked (typically
with 'j'), the agenda view is regenerated for today's date regardless of
which date I am currently viewing, before allowing me to input a date.
This seems an unnecessary step and I wonder whether it would be easy to
change?  On my Asus, regenerating the view for my current date (with
todos, scheduled items, etc) takes at least 8 seconds!  When I'm
checking out various dates in the future for possible meetings or
whatever, having to wait up to 10 seconds each time I look at a
different date gets a little frustrating.

I've had a look at org-agenda-goto-date and org-read-date but it's not
immediately apparent to me why the current date's view has to be
generated.

Is it possible to avoid that current date regeneration?  Apologies if
I've misinterpreted what is actually happening.

Of course, I would be happy to have any recommendations for a different
mode of operation, if such exists!

I'm using emacs version 23.0.92.1 with org-mode version 6.26a.

Thanks,
eric

Footnotes:
[1]  I know that I could help things by clearing out some of the cruft
from my agenda files, but that is actually one of the todo items already
in my list... ;-)

--
NL Professor Eric S Fraga, UCL, http://www.homepages.ucl.ac.uk/~ucecesf/