Re: [Orgmode] An improvement for a reading of exported HTML tables

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] An improvement for a reading of exported HTML tables
Date: Fri, 8 May 2009 06:36:41 +0200

"CD" == Carsten Dominik <address@hidden> writes:

   CD> On May 7, 2009, at 11:38 AM, Jan Buchal wrote:

Hello again,

the problem is little bit complicate :-) I need <th> not in first
row only but by every column which contain the name of row. In
the attachment you can find the example

  CD> That is currently not possible.
And is it possible fix it? From the point of view of accessibility is a
bug.

CD> I would not call it a bug, it is a limitation. Org is not a full CD> HTML table editor, there are many things it cannot do, including
   CD> column and row spanning, multiline fields, you name it.
Unfortunately it is a bug. See please WCAG documentation.

It's not. It's just something not implemented. And, as I see it, it
would be complicated to implement.

What you want seems to be this:

1. It's recommended to put the column headers into the <thead> element (Org-mode does this). That way column headers are re-printed on every
    page, if a table exceeds the size of one printed page.

 2. It's recommended to use <th> elements in tables like this:

 | Country | Number of citizens  |
 |---------+--------------------|
 | Germany | 84 Mio.            |
 | France  | XXX Mio.           |

 In this case it could make sense to put the country names in <th>
 tags (see 4.). I think this is, what you wanted.

 3. Use the caption element to describe the purpose of a
    table. Org-mode does this.

 4. The `scope' attribut describes, wich table cells are concerned by
    the <th> element.

    Again, our country example. This table should be handled corretly
    by a screen reader:

     <caption>Citizens per country</caption>
     <thead>
       <th scope="col"> Country </th>
       <th scope="col"> Number of citizens </th>
    </thead>
    <tbody>
      <th scope="row"> Germany </th>
      <th scope="row"> France </th>

There are more possible values for `scope' (`colgroup' and `rowgroup')
as well, as some additional possibilities to assign headers to cells
(`header' and `id') in such a way, that multiple headers describe one
cell.

In our example, the headers `Germany' and `Number of citizens' would
describe the cell `84 Mio.'.

I don't see, how Org-mode could decide which headers describe wich
cells.

The most obvious thing to do would be, to

   a) mark cells as table-headers (this is the only needed new
      Org-syntax feature),
   b) if in the first table row, add a  scope="col" to the <th> tag,
   c) if in the first column, add a   scope="row"  to  the <th> tag.

OK, this is ho it works now....

Thanks

- Carsten

Beacuse if we take all those possible assignments into account, we'll
get something complicated to code, use and document...
We would have to end with some kind of `formular' syntax, like the one
used for the spreadsheet capabilities.

Regards

  Sebastian