Re: [Orgmode] pop-up-windows

From: Samuel Wales
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] pop-up-windows
Date: Thu, 28 May 2009 15:49:08 -0700

Hi Carsten,

On Wed, May 6, 2009 at 05:14, Carsten Dominik <address@hidden> wrote:
> I do not use display-buffer in Org, because the results are
> so unpredictable for different users precisely because there
> is a plethora of options and hooks that do modify the behavior.
> This makes it difficult to create a consistent interface, at
> least in my opinion.

I think this might be a question of whether you want a consistent
interface for org across all users (e.g. for helping people debug
issues) vs. a consistent interface across all of emacs for a single
user.  Respecting pop-up-windows IMO achieves the latter (although as
you poiint out, you can set variables and hooks in org for the most
important cases).

I did check coding standards; I expected the variable to be mentioned,
but it isn't, so it's merely an informal standard.  But I am sometimes
having to fix the behavior of parts of emacs that don't respect
pop-up-windows, including, strangely (and non-fixably) help mode
source butttons.

>> Export dispatch and agenda dispatch should probably respect
>> the variable because context usually does not add to the
>> decision being made (among other reasons).  They do not
>> currently respect it.
>
> I don't think this is an issue.  These commands make the
> buffer as large as needed to display their entire content.
> If necessary they will remove the other window.  So with a
> large font, they can use the whole frame.

True.  Respecting pop-up-windows here is merely to avoid surprises for
those who use it consistently.

>> org-complete is currently problematic because it
>> inadvertently respects the variable.  It changes to the
>> completions buffer, and then the completion keys do not
>> work.
>
> I don't understand.  What is the problem?

Try setting pop-up-windows to nil, and completing.  You will find that
you get a completions buffer.  Normally in completion, you can add
another key and complete again.  But in the completions buffer you
cannot.  This is a case where splitting the windows regardless of
pop-up-windows would be useful.  That or allowing the completions
buffer to be active.

>> This should probably either ignore the variable or accept the
>> completion keys.  However, I do not use it, so I have not
>> tried it much.

Out of order:

>> In org, todo state selection and tag selection should
>> probably ignore the variable, provided that the window
>> height contains the buffer.  The context is useful, so it's
>> OK to split the window.
>
> Exactly, this is what drove me crazy and toward
> abandoning pop-to-buffer and display-buffer entirely.

Not sure why you need to abandon them entirely instead of just for these two?

Again, however, this is a minor consistency issue since you can use
variables and hooks to achieve the same result.  It is just for new
users to not have to find them.

Thanks.

--
Myalgic encephalomyelitis denialism is causing death and severe suffering
worse than MS.  Conflicts of interest are destroying science.  Anybody can