Re: [Orgmode] Re: Sourceforge community award

From: Peter Frings
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Re: Sourceforge community award
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 2009 09:58:33 +0200

On 12 Jun 2009, at 05:58, Carsten Dominik wrote:

On 2009-06-11 21:49 +0100, Carsten Dominik wrote:
I am attaching the picture to this email, you can also retrieve it
from

http://orgmode.org/Org-mode-scc.png

That screen shot looks very beautiful. There's one minor glitch. The
font is non anti-alias.

Pictures often give people their first impression of a software, as
stupid as it is. What do you all think of the used colors?

I do to some extend agree with you.  The buffer picture does
look very colored and a bit unrealistic.  A real buffer would
look less colored because the distribution between text and
functional elements would be different.  These lines are so short
to make them readable at all in a screenshot.

Will readable lines make the case? It all boils down to the question you pose: "what's its function?".

I actually do use these colors currently and find them quite
workable.

I think there's a difference between what's workable and what's `attractive at first sight'. These days everything must be "web20", soft, polished, nice graphics, ... Too attract people, it must not be workable, but pretty. I agree with the poster about the "90s look".

If the function of the screenshot/logo is to attract people and make them click through, it must be appealing AND pick their interest. The one screenshot on worg with the R plots has some of those qualities, but I think it's too dark and contains too much info (window is too big for a scaled-down screenshot).

The alternative --only the logo-- is not bad, but I would add a slogan, such as "Your life in plain text"; short and bold. The logo by itself is not well-known and might not invoke this "Hey, what would that be? Let me see!" reaction.

Hmmm, are there any marketeers on this list?

Cheers,
Peter.