[Orgmode] Re: tags-tree question

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: tags-tree question
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 2009 12:07:58 +0200

On Jun 23, 2009, at 12:52 AM, Pete Phillips wrote:

Evening to you all

"Carsten" == Carsten Dominik <address@hidden> writes:

   Carsten> Pete, what exactly do you meam by "custom agenda" here.

I mean it's one of my org-agenda-custom-commands. This is my (probably
overly) complex setup to list any of the things I do at home, which have
a TODO="NEXT" action associated with them.

 ("h" "Home Stuff (Next)"
  ((tags-todo "Home//NEXT" nil)
   (tags-todo "DIY//NEXT" nil)
   (tags-todo "Karen//NEXT" nil)
   (tags-todo "PhoneH//NEXT" nil)
   (tags-todo "LaptopH//NEXT" nil)
   (tags-todo "WaitingH//NEXT" nil)
   (tags-todo "SometimeH//NEXT" nil))

Some of these actions will have SCHEDULED or DEADLINE dates associated
with them and I only want to see those actions 30 days (or perhaps 60
days) before the date. Anything without a DEADLine or SCHEDULED date I
want to see in the list.

   Carsten> It is a tags/property/todo search?  In that case you could
   Carsten> try something like
   Carsten>       TODO="TODO"+DEADLINE<"<+1m>"
   Carsten> as a search string

OK - promising - this looks like it may do what I want:

("h" "Home Stuff (Next)"
 (tags-todo "TODO=\"NEXT\"+Home+DEADLINE<\"<+1m>\"" nil)
 (tags-todo "TODO=\"NEXT\"+Home+DEADLINE=\"\"" nil)
 (tags-todo "TODO=\"NEXT\"+Home+SCHEDULED<\"<+1m>\"" nil)
 (tags-todo "TODO=\"NEXT\"+Home+SCHEDULED=\"\"" nil)

I.e., find me NEXT items with the tag of Home, with a deadline within
the next month, AND find me NEXT items with the Home tag, where there is

But that does seem very complex. (it also feels slow).

   Carsten> HTH

It does. At least i know there is a way to do it. The question now is -
is there an easier way ?

Not currently, no. And yes, it will be slow because of accessing properties
(DEADLINE counts as a property in this case).

You could construct a faster way by using org-agenda-skip and looking for the deadline yourself. That might actually work quite well and reasonably fast.

Let me know if you need help to put this together.

- Carsten

   Carsten> - Carsten

   Carsten> P.S. Nice to know you are still around, still using Org
   Carsten> ... :-)

I haven't stopped using org-mode - it is the lubricant which oils the
wheels of my life. I have just reduced the time I can spend reading and responding to mailing list emails. :-( Still grazing on the list though.