[Orgmode] Orgmode for research information management

From: Shrutarshi Basu
Subject: [Orgmode] Orgmode for research information management
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2009 17:27:46 -0400

I just started using orgmode today to organize the papers that I'm collecting for my own research. The way I work is a bit complicated, but I like it. I have all my PDFs in a single directory and my notes in a separate directory. These notes are extensive outlines and notes for each paper. Corresponding files are named the same in each directory to make it easy to relate the paper to the notes. I also have a bibtex file with citation info for each file. I then run a Python script over the two directories and the bibtex file which generates an org file containing links to the PDF and notes and some of the bibtex data (authors and publication). This file is my main interface to all my research info. I use Org-mode tags to do some simple categorization and also store short notes. If you like, I could give you my Python script. Some of the file paths are hard coded in, but they're easy to change. You can also view PDFs directly in Emacs.

Basu

--
Shrutarshi Basu
Computer Science,