Re: [Orgmode] org-plot : interaction problem with gnuplot

From: Eric Schulte
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] org-plot : interaction problem with gnuplot
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2009 18:30:00 -0700

address@hidden writes:

> Hi,
>
> I would like to use gnuplot with org-mode tabular function.But I
> haven't managed to use it until now.
> I would like to submit to you few remarks I have done.
>
> I use GNU Emacs 22.2.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600) on Microsoft Windows XP OS.
> I have installed gnuplot and I can use it with gnuplot-mode.
>
> I tried to follow the tutorial of Eric Schulte but I didn't manage to get a
> plot of
> simple example extracted from the tutorial.
>
> I use these data defined in a file orgplot.org :
> #+PLOT: title:"Citas" ind:1 deps:(3) type:2d with:histograms set:"yrange [0:]"
> | Sede       | Max cites | H-index |
> |------------+-----------+---------|
> | Chile      |    257.72 |   21.39 |
> | Leeds      |    165.77 |   19.68 |
> | São Paolo |     71.00 |   11.50 |
> | Stockholm  |    134.19 |   14.33 |
> | Morelia    |    257.56 |   17.67 |
>

> When I use org-plot/gnuplot, gnuplot is launched with only the reset command
> and emacs is totally freezed. To get back to emacs, I use \C-g command.

Hmm, it is not clear to me what is happening here.  It is possible that
the problem is somehow related to running on a windows machine, as I
have only personally tested org-plot on linux and Mac OS's.

The only two things I can think of at the moment are
1. the reset command is freezing on your machine, you could test this
   out by starting up a gnuplot comint buffer and entering the "reset"
   command
2. for some reason the script is not being set to the correct value, you
   could test this by adding the following line

      (message "script is %s" script)

   right after line 263 in lisp/org-plot.el, then reloading that
   function (with C-M-x) and running org-plot-gnuplot again, checking
   the message buffer to see the contents of the script variable.

Sorry I can't be of more help.  If I find time I may re-write org-plot
to use org-babel (see any of my other recent emails for more information
on org-babel) which could eliminate this problem.

Please do let me know the results of looking into the above suggestions,
or if you have any ideas breakthroughs.

Thanks -- Eric

> I have checked few things :
>
> - org-plot/gnuplot managed to build a temporay file org-plot???? with the
> following
>   data
>
> "Chile"       257.72  21.39
> "Leeds"       165.77  19.68
> "São Paolo"  71.00   11.50
> "Stockholm"   134.19  14.33
> "Morelia"     257.56  17.67

That looks right

> - I suppose that org-plot/gnuplot builds a temporary buffer with the
> instructions
>   that will be sent to gnuplot. I checked that *gnuplot* buffer with
>   gnuplot-show-gnuplot-buffer. There is only the reset command.

That makes sense, it is still possible that the entire command is being
constructed, but that Emacs is freezing before anything after the
"reset" line are evaluated and dropped into the *gnuplot* buffer.  The
above `message' statement should resolve whether this is the case.