Re: [Orgmode] license item

From: Ian Barton
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] license item
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 2009 14:59:32 +0100

Sebastian Rose wrote:
Isn't it so, that no license means "All Rights Reserved"?

Not sure, bu I think in Germany it is...

Anyway, if you receive Org-mode with emacs, it has just the same license
as emacs.

I see Carsten has added a link to the GPL. However, I think it's worthwhile specifically saying which *version* of the GPL.

This might seem a trivial matter. However, I am involved with another project where the maintainer moved the licence from GPL V2 to GPL V3, with the best of intentions. A large commercial company wanted to contribute considerable resources to the project, but they were unhappy with the V3 licence and wanted to continue with V2. As a result considerable effort was wasted in getting everyone who had contributed patches to the V3 version agreeing to them being "backported" to the V2 licence.

Ian.