[Orgmode] Re: LaTeX export bugs?

From: Sébastien Vauban
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: LaTeX export bugs?
Date: Fri, 03 Jul 2009 10:39:40 +0200

Hi Nick,

Nick Dokos wrote:
> Sebastien Vauban wrote:
>
>> > BTW, any solution for exporting to a Beamer presentation? I'd be very
>> > very very interested by anything in that direction. That's the last piece
>> > of the whole puzzle, IMHO.
>> >

> I did a beamer presentation in org-mode last month (1 hour, about 20 slides).
> Here is a simplified version (I'll talk about some problems at the end).
>
> o org-export-latex-classes is augmented with a beamer element as follows:
>
> ,----
> | (add-to-list 'org-export-latex-classes
> |                '("beamer"
> |
> "\\documentclass[11pt]{beamer}\n\\usepackage[utf8]{inputenc}\n\\usepackage[T1]{fontenc}\n\\usepackage{hyperref}\n\\usepackage{verbatim}\n\\setbeameroption{show
>  notes}\n\\usetheme{Goettingen}\n\\useoutertheme{infolines}"
> |                  ("\\begin{frame}\\frametitle{%s}\\begin{itemize}"
> "\\end{itemize}\\end{frame}"
> |                   "\\begin{frame}\\frametitle{%s}\\begin{itemize}"
> "\\end{itemize}\\end{frame}")
> |                  ("\\item{%s}" . "\\item*{%s}")
> |                  ("\\end{itemize}\\note{" "}")))
> `----

Excellent idea...

> o Here is an input file:
>
> ,----
> | #+LaTeX_CLASS: beamer
> | #+TITLE: Example presentation
> | #+AUTHOR: Nick Dokos \\ $<$\href{mailto:address@hidden@hp.com}$>$
> | #+EMAIL: address@hidden
> |
> | * Why
> | ** Reason 1.
> |    Text explaining reason 1.
> | ** Reason 2.
> |    ... more explanations.
> | ** Reason 3.
> |    Blah, blah, blah.
> |
> | ** Reason 4.
> |    Why not?
> |
> | * What
> | ** First piece.
> | ** Second piece.
> | ** Third piece.
> | ** Fourth piece.
> `----
>
> o Export it to latex (and zap the TOC - see below):

Weird. Having done the above `add-to-list' in Emacs (with `C-x C-e'), I got a
different exported file than yours. But really different:

% Created 2009-07-03 Fri 10:32
\documentclass[11pt]{beamer}
\usepackage[utf8]{inputenc}
\usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
\usepackage{hyperref}
\usepackage{verbatim}
\setbeameroption{show notes}
\usetheme{Goettingen}
\useoutertheme{infolines}

\title{Example presentation}
\author{Nick Dokos \\ $<$\href{mailto:address@hidden@hp.com}$>$}
\date{03 July 2009}

\begin{document}

\maketitle

\setcounter{tocdepth}{3}
\tableofcontents
\vspace*{1cm}

\begin{frame}\frametitle{Why}\begin{itemize}
\label{sec-1}

\end{itemize}\end{frame}
\begin{frame}\frametitle{What}\begin{itemize}
\label{sec-2}

\end{itemize}\end{frame}

\end{document}

There is no text, in fact...
Don't understand why...

> Some notes:
>
> o Level 1 headlines become slide titles.
>
> o Level 2 headlines become items in the slide and the text under the level
>   2 headlines ends up as text in the item.
>
> o Level 3 headlines (not shown in the sample document) were supposed to
>   become notes, but this obviously will not work this way. I don't know
>   how to make it work. In the end, I edited the tex file by hand in
>   order to get the notes right.
>
> o Moreover (and I think this is a bug in the latex exporter), I had to
>   rearrange the notes by hand: they ended up in the wrong slides.
>   I have had zero time to chase this however, so I am not really sure
>   why this happened.
>
> o There was a problem with the table of contents (it's empty and it pushes
>   the title of the first slide down), so I manually zapped it from
>   the tex file.
>
> o Latex had some peculiar objections to the labels and I did not care
>   about them, so I preprocessed them out of existence in the tex file.
>
> After a little practice, I could edit the tex file to take care of all the
> problems in about 5 minutes. Even so, after getting the bulk of the contents
> of the presentation done, I did a final production of the tex file and did
> the final touchups on that. One of these days, I'll have to go back and
> figure out some of the problems. For now, this zeroth approximation to a
> solution will have to suffice.

I think as well we can live with such minor troubles for the moment. And still
take advantage of Org...

Though, I have a bigger problem getting to there.

Best regards,
  Seb

--
Sébastien Vauban