[Orgmode] Re: Latest Org and Carbon Emacs

From: Matthew Lundin
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: Latest Org and Carbon Emacs
Date: Thu, 09 Jul 2009 16:32:20 -0500

Karl Maihofer <address@hidden> writes:

> Until now I used Org with Debian GNU/Linux. Today I bought a MacBook
> Pro 13" and I spent the evening making my first steps with MacOS. I
> installed the Carbon Emacs package and configured Emacs to use the
> latest Org-Version that I copied to ~/elisp/org-mode/.

I'll have to rely on my memory here, since I went in the opposite
direction (from MacOS to GNU/Linux). ;)

> (add-to-list 'load-path "~/elisp/org-mode/lisp/")
> (add-to-list 'auto-mode-alist '("\\.org\\'" . org-mode))
>
> When I try to export an org-file to LaTeX I get the following error:
>
> org-export-latex-first-lines: Symbol's function definition is void:
> org-cleaned-string-for-export
>
> I think I saw this error already some time ago and the reason was,
> that an old org-version conflicts with the one I use. Under Debian I
> renamed the Org-elisp-files in the Emacs-Program-Directory and the
> problem was solved. But under MacOS I cannot find these files - as I
> wrote, I am completely new to MacOS. I scanned the Folders
> /Applications/Emacs.app/* but couldn't find the org elisp files.

If I remember correctly. the old org lisp files are located in
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/textmodes.

I found it easiest to install the new org files directly to the
Emacs.app directory. And fortunately, I still have my Makefile
modifications in an org-file:

# Name of your emacs binary
EMACS=/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/MacOS/Emacs

# Where local software is found
prefix=/usr/local

# Where local lisp files go.
lispdir = /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/site-lisp

# Where info files go.
infodir = /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/info

If you install the files to site-lisp, they are loaded instead of the
files in lisp/textmodes.

Best,
Matt