Re: [Orgmode] Newbie Questions

From: Eric S Fraga
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Newbie Questions
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2009 18:49:02 +0100

At Fri, 10 Jul 2009 12:32:59 -0400,
Nick Dokos wrote:
> Quite likely it's a failure of imagination on my part, but I still
> don't see why you would both schedule and deadline an item. Could
> you provide a scenario where that would be useful?

Well, to use an example that I think the OP (Andrew) would identify
with, when a funding agency puts out a call for proposals, they will
give a strict deadline (e.g. 12 noon, 5 August 2009).  That date is
critical to the activity of writing the proposal if one intends to
apply for funding so the date gets put in my org file immediately.

Subsequently, when I figure out when I will have time to work on
writing the proposal, I will schedule the appropriate event.  I must
admit, however, that I do frequently simply put an active time stamp
on the note for when I want to work on this task.  I guess it depends
on the "granularity" of the scheduling of the task: if I intend to
work on it at some specific hour of the day, I'll use a time stamp; if
I intend to tackle the task "sometime" on Thursday, I'll schedule it.

The latter may be the wrong way to do it but the reality is that my
"planned" schedule often goes completely out the window due to
external factors and any time stamped activities disappear off the
agenda view the following day whereas scheduled items do not.  This
makes scheduling appealing as it allows me to say, the next day,
"ooops, I forgot to actually work on that proposal yesterday...".

YMMV, of course!

cheers,
eric