Re: [Orgmode] org-ido-completing-read not defined

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] org-ido-completing-read not defined
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 2009 10:10:09 +0100

On Aug 19, 2009, at 9:19 AM, Daniel Clemente wrote:

Hi.With latest org-mode (release_6.29c.47.gc7c1.dirty):

1. There are still many calls to org-ido-completing-read (ex: ā€žeā€œ at column view) which won't work because commit 5acac25dc17916fb850c31a715e95ce50de216d0 (All completing-read behavior for iswitchb users) renamed that function.

Ooops, looks like this patch was incomplete.  Fixed now.

2. Other functions were renamed, like org-completing-read-no-ido ā†’ org-completing-read-no-i. I don't know how that's better.

Because his now covers both ido and iswitchb-like completion

3. I don't understand why Org has to hard-code references to a specific implementation of completion. I stopped using ido long ago and started using icicles; therefore it feels strange to know that I might be using different engines at the same time, one for Org, the other for the rest of Emacs.
  Isn't there a completion interface in Emacs?
(I think CEDET will provide one, but for normal buffers, not minibuffer).

ido and iswitchb do not cover "normal" completion, only buffer switching and file selection. Org-mode can be made to use these interfaces also for other completion prompts by setting the appropriate options.

I am not an icicles user, but I believe it will automatically affect almost all completion prompts. So just don't set the variables selection ido or iswitchb support in Org, and you should automatically have your favorite completion setup.

HTH

- Carsten