Re: [Orgmode] Display parent in agenda mode

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Display parent in agenda mode
Date: Tue, 1 Sep 2009 06:38:34 +0200

On Aug 31, 2009, at 8:36 PM, Andrew M. Nuxoll wrote:

When I'm viewing an agenda (using my custom agenda command), I like to hit 'f' to put it in follow mode so I can see the context of the entry I'm viewing. However, in many cases there are enough entries under a given heading that the heading has scrolled off the screen. Is there a way to have follow mode condense the view it shows to only show the parents and children but not the siblings? Otherwise I have to tab over to the .org file and page up which gets old pretty fast.

(I did read the manual but didn't see a solution. I'm sorry if I missed it.)

Hi Andrew,

no, there i nothing in Org to do this by default.

However, you can hack it like this:

(defun my-compact-follow ()
      (while (org-up-heading-safe))
  (let ((org-show-siblings nil)
        (org-show-hierarchy-above t))
    (org-back-to-heading t)

(add-hook 'org-agenda-after-show-hook 'my-compact-follow)

Hope this helps