Re: [Orgmode] Org-mode version 6.30trans (release_6.30d.5.gc125); make f

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Org-mode version 6.30trans (release_6.30d.5.gc125); make fails on org-ascii.el
Date: Fri, 4 Sep 2009 17:02:24 +0200

On Sep 4, 2009, at 1:41 PM, Sebastian Rose wrote:

Sebastian Rose <address@hidden> writes:
Trying to `make' org-mode fails with the following error message:

 In toplevel form:
 lisp/org-ascii.el:29:1:Error: Symbol's function definition is void:
 org-float-time
 make: *** [lisp/org-ascii.elc] Fehler 1

Opening the org-mode/lisp/ directory in dired and marking all *.el files
(`% m el$ RET) and byte-compiling them (`B') works for
org-ascii.el.
There it just failes for org-xoxo.el for the same reason.

sh$ make clean
sh$ make

does the trick...

Or even (if not clean):

sh$ make autoloads
sh$ make

I think we can live with it, as this is not unusual at all.

On the other hand: Shouldn't a simple `make' do everything needed to succeed?

In principle I would agree, and if you download a zip or tar distribution,
it works just like that.  However, in the git distro, you do
create new files which stick around when you update.

Of course we could add a "make clean" to the ALL target, but it seems to me that this is different from other uses of make. Maybe the make update should contain it?

- Carsten

 Sebastian