[Orgmode] Re: representation of clients

From: Bernt Hansen
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: representation of clients
Date: Mon, 07 Sep 2009 21:27:15 -0400

Richard Riley <address@hidden> writes:

> People using org-mode to maintain tasks, order, reminders , notes etc,
> how do you represent clients? By a TAG? by a separate category? Separate
> file?

All of the above.  http://doc.norang.ca/org-mode.html#sec-2.3

I tend to keep one file per client, with a #+FILETAGS entry for the
client and set the category just so it's easy to see in the agenda what
tasks apply to what client.

I use the category to visually see what client a task belongs to on the
agenda quickly.

I use tags to filter tasks on the agenda.

I use entire files to group tasks for a client so they can be
added/removed from the agenda easily.

So for every client project file I'll have the main file and an archive
file to keep the entire history of whatever I've worked on in the past.
Archive dead stuff to keep the agenda response time fast.

Adding and removing clients from the agenda is simply adding and
removing entire files from org-agenda-files.

I have a client X that has multiple clients (A, B, C, D, etc), and I
work on their client's systems.  In this case I have org files X-A.org,
X-B.org, ... , X-D.org since their clients come and go and I want to
only keep the stuff I work on in my agenda.  Similarly I'll also have an
X.org for stuff specific to the main client that I work for.

Hope some of that makes sense :)

-Bernt