Re: [Orgmode] Re: RSI

From: B Smith-Mannschott
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Re: RSI
Date: Tue, 8 Sep 2009 10:05:51 +0200

On Tue, Sep 8, 2009 at 07:50, PT<address@hidden> wrote:
> Daniel Martins <danielemc <at> gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Sticky keys takes some getting used to. It makes every modifier key
>> work a little like caps lock. Sounds horrible, doesn't it? Well, it's
>> not really. Basically, if you press control once, it "locks" control
>> down for the next keystroke only, after which point the keyboard
>> returns to normal. Press control twice, and it locks down until you
>> release it with a third press.
>> C-x C-f
>> Used to be: press and hold control. Press and release x. press and
>> release f. Release control.
>> Now it's Press and release control twice. Press and release x. press
>> and release f. Press and release control.
>
> I don't know which implementation you use, but with Windows' built-in
> sticky key setup there is no change compared to the usual order of keys:
>

> press/release ctrl, press/release x, press/release ctrl, press/release f
>
> No need to press and release control twice at the beginning, so it's the
> same number of keypresses as the usual method, you only need to pay
> attention you release the previous key before pressing the next one.

yes, you can do it this way too, in fact I usually do for two-key
sequences. You do have the option of "locking down" a modifier key by
pressing it twice. Press once more to release it. Occasionally I find
myself inputting a burst of keystrokes under the same modifier, in
cases like that it can make sense to do this. (Think of it as a
"mode", in the way that word is used among the vi crowd.) I use that
when I'm going to be repeating the same control key binding often,
i.e. when I'm isearching through a document looking at all the
matches:

[ctrl] [s] sometext [ctrl][ctrl] [s] [s] [s] [s] [s] [s] [s] ... [ctrl]

instead of

[ctrl] [s] sometext [ctrl] [s] [ctrl] [s] [ctrl] [s] [ctrl] [ctrl] [s]
[ctrl] [s] [ctrl] [s] [ctrl] [s] ...

// Ben