[Orgmode] column view bug

From: George Pearson
Subject: [Orgmode] column view bug
Date: Sun, 13 Sep 2009 14:57:27 -0400

Running org 6.30e and emacs 22.3.1.  Running under fully updated
Windows XP.

days in the week are positioned differently depending on whether
or not there is any item for the day.

For a test file (see below), this is what I see in column view
for the weekly agenda.  (You'll need a fixed-width font to view it
properly).

CATE | ITEM                                | E | P | A |
Week-agenda (W37-W38):
Sunday     13 September 2009
Monday     14 September 2009 W38
     | Tuesday    15 September 2009        | . |   |   |
Test | TODO task 1                         |   |   |   |
Wednesday  16 September 2009
     | Thursday   17 September 2009        | . |   |   |
Test | TODO task 2                         |   |   |   |
Friday     18 September 2009
Saturday   19 September 2009

Note the alignment difference between Tuesday and Thursday and
the other dates.

Note also I am including the CATEGORY in the display, via:

(org-columns-default-format "%CATEGORY %35ITEM %Effort{:} %PRIORITY
%ALLTAGS")

The problem is *NOT* VISIBLE if the %CATEGORY is removed, so one
MUST include it to view the problem.

This is probably not a issue with a normal agenda, in which there
are tasks to do every day.  I actually discovered this problem using
a custom view, intended to show only appointments for the week.  But
the test file shows that the problem can be seen even without
a custom agenda.

By the way, I couldn't show it in this posting, but the Tuesday and
Thursday lines, along with their TODO items, have a light grey
background, whereas everything else has a white background.  This
shading problem is odd in appearance, and it happens WHETHER OR NOT
%CATEGORY is use, and so would be a separate, but related, fix.

Here's the test .org file I used:

#+STARTUP: odd
#+STARTUP: hidestars
#+STARTUP: logdone
#+SEQ_TODO: TODO NEXT PENDING | DONE(d!) CANCELLED(c@)

#+CATEGORY: Test
* Test
*** TODO task 1
   SCHEDULED: <2009-09-15 Tue>
*** TODO task 2
   SCHEDULED: <2009-09-17 Thu>

===

To display the result shown at the top of this message, I open
the test.org file in emacs, then type:

C-a < a

Then in the resulting agenda window, switch to weekly if not
already, and get column mode with

C-c C-x C-c