Re: [Orgmode] text-mode-abbrev-table default?

From: Andreas Röhler
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] text-mode-abbrev-table default?
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2009 17:11:37 +0100

Carsten Dominik wrote:

> On Oct 27, 2009, at 10:45 PM, Andreas Roehler wrote:
>

>> Hi,
>>
>> with abbrev-mode, org-mode made his own
>> (org-mode-abbrev-table) - empty, which was
>> unconvenient, as I declared a lot of abbrevs in
>> text-mode already.
>>
>> Solved it by
>>
>> (add-hook 'org-mode-hook '(lambda () (setq local-abbrev-table
>> text-mode-abbrev-table)))
>>
>> However, as org-mode is a text-mode, why not use
>> `text-mode-abbrev-table' by default?
>
> Because if I do tis by default, someone if going to want
> to have a separate table.... :-)
>
> You solution is good - a nice snippet for a FAQ, maybe?
>
> - Carsten

Don't know. Just one remark still in this matter:

Some modes as text-mode, org-mode are useful for non-programmers too.
However, emacs' didactic already is somehow backward bothering people with keys
instead mentioning mnemonic function-names.

It's important to reflect how much a newbie/non-programmer may learn.
IMHO the use of `customize' with its different types - string, regexp, boolean
- its enough already.

Requiring knowledge and use of things like `add-hook' is simply too much -
emacs will lose this people.

So what about introducing a customizable var saying
`use-text-mode-abbrev-table'?

If set to `t', use it. As said - suggest it as default.

Cheers

Andreas