Re: [Orgmode][babel] noweb does not work (as expected)

From: Eric Schulte
Subject: Re: [Orgmode][babel] noweb does not work (as expected)
Date: Mon, 09 Nov 2009 22:33:06 -0700

Torsten Wagner <address@hidden> writes:

>> I think the main point is that the current set up means that org-mode
>> and org-babel share a common history of commits. My current idea of git
>> submodules is that I would include something as a submodule when it is a
>> module that gets used by multiple different projects...
>
> As far as I understand git submodules (but I never get in real use to
> them yet) they can be considered as a part of a project which keeps it
> own history.  If that is right it might be perfect for org-mode and
> org-babel. You can develop on top of the org-mode git and does not
> cluttering the history of org- mode git.  However, as far as I read
> there are some potential flaws which, if used wrong, can create some
> serious problems.

Hi Torsten,

Having used git submodules in a couple of projects I would shy away from
the added complexity which submodules introduce.  In my experience the
implicit requirement of submodules for users to execute 'git submodule
init' and 'git submodule update' commands whenever they update their
source code can lead to a lot of confusion.

Best -- Eric