[Orgmode] Re: org-mode for diary writing

From: Eric S Fraga
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: org-mode for diary writing
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2009 20:42:02 +0000

(apologies for breaking the thread but I had already deleted all
relevant messages when I realised that I could hopefully contribute to
it)

T o n g wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I found people are using org-mode for diary writing in recent mlist
> archive, but wasn't able to find such tutorials.
>
> Anyone can enlighten me with such tutorial, which is for org-mode newbies
> and focusing on how to make most use of applicable org-mode features, and
> maybe a bonus "best-practice diary writing with org-mode"?

With the recent addition of diary functions to the agenda view mode in
org-mode, I find the easiest way of keeping a journal is to simply 'i
d' in the agenda view.  If you've set up an org-mode diary file
(org-agenda-diary-file) which differs from the Emacs diary file, then
the diary insertion commands from the agenda view create quite nicely
formatted journal type of entries.

So, instead of using remember, simply pop up the agenda view ('C-c a'
in my case) and type 'i d' for adding an entry for today.  For a
journal entry for any other day, do 'C-c a', then 'j' followed by a
date specification to jump to a particular day and finally 'i d' to
insert a diary/journal entry.

HTH,
eric