Re: [Orgmode] [babel] features request for Emacs Initialization

From: Eric Schulte
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] [babel] features request for Emacs Initialization
Date: Fri, 04 Dec 2009 22:33:31 -0700

bluedian <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi,
>
> Thanks for org-babel, my configuration file are now in org form and it's
> pretty
> easy to manage and document them. I was looking for that kind of things since
> long time !
>
> I will find interesting to have two more things (perhaps it's already there) :
>
> 1) When the org configuration file aren't changed, a way to automatically load
> their tangled version (bytecompiled ?) in order to improve the initialization
> time of Emacs.

Hmm, maybe we should byte-compile elisp files by default when they are
tangled out of org-babel documents.  Although I can't think of any off
the top of my head I image there are going to be cases when it would not
be appropriate to byte-compile tangled elisp files.

I'll add this feature as a task in our development list.

> 2) When in debugging mode (a variable, like "stater-kit-org-babel-debug-lisp
> put
> to t), could a trace be generated by the tangling process in order to trace
> the
> execution of the configuration file (simple trace like the generation of a
> message at the start and end of each emacs lisp block). That could be a good
> help for rapidly finding an error.

Hmm, I feel like this would require too much code in org-babel for too
limited a set of functionality.  Maybe there is a more general feature
lying behind this request that would be more widely applicable?

Thanks for the suggestions -- Eric