Re: [Orgmode] [babel] R - variable names in summary

From: Thomas S. Dye
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] [babel] R - variable names in summary
Date: Wed, 9 Dec 2009 10:51:25 -1000

Hi Graham,

On Dec 9, 2009, at 10:33 AM, Graham Smith wrote:

Dan,

That's great, I am beginning to grasp how this works

But I would never have figured out the :results output method, however.

OK, it would be really helpful if you could let us know how we should
improve the documentation of it.

I'm not sure if I'm the one to ask about the documentation, as I
struggled with most of it, but that is my problem and probably not
typical. I'm also still very much trying to get to grips with Emacs
and orgmode.

Not being a programmer, I find the terminology and phrasing of these
sorts of things difficult to follow, and need examples to copy , and
then try and extract from the documentation and other examples, how
things work.

My problem was therefore  the lack of examples specific to R.  My
guess is that the majority of emacs/orgmode users won't have the same
problems.

Graham

I'd like to second Dan's invitation and ask that you drop a note to the list when you find something difficult to understand in the documentation. There isn't anything about the use of Org-babel (or Org-mode) that a non-programmer shouldn't be able to follow.

BTW, I agree with you about the difficult terminology and phrasing in the Org-babel documentation. It should be possible to make the definitions of terms and the distinctions they index more accessible. So, please let the list know when something trips you up.

When you find an example that fills a gap you perceive in the documentation, please pass that along, too. The more examples the better.

I'm glad to hear you've made it over the steep part of the Org-babel learning curve and that it is working for you now. If your experience is like mine you'll soon be wondering how you ever managed without it.

All the best,
Tom