Re: [Orgmode] Organizing a students live

From: Jan Böcker
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Organizing a students live
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 2009 18:23:01 +0100

Thomas Bach wrote:

> Why do you put inactive timestamps for beginning and end of the
> semester? Doesn’t that mean that it won’t show up in the agenda view?

I do not need the agenda to tell me every day what semester I am in.
When I need this information in the agenda view, I just press "[" to
show inactive timestamps, too.

> How are you handling examens?

Examens are appointments, which go into the "general information"
subtree for the semester, get a TODO keyword and a DEADLINE to remind me
to start the preparations early enough.

> But there are some still things that don’t fit together e.g. that
> classes (teoría) show up on vacations…

I mostly avoid this problem as a side effect of having a subtree for
each week; for weeks in which there are no classes, there will simply be
no subtree present.

Because I need a subtree for each occurence of a lecture anyway (to link
to related information and store (links to) my class notes), that does
not create additional overhead for me.

I face this problem with weekly exercises; because I usually do not take
notes then, there are no separate subtrees for these. (If I do take
notes, they go to the appropriate Homework subtree.) I do not use
org-mode to remind me of these at all, as I have my schedule committed
to memory by now. (I do have the schedule in an .org-file for reference.)