Re: [Orgmode] Need help exporting subtrees to html

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Need help exporting subtrees to html
Date: Thu, 31 Dec 2009 09:15:48 +0100

On Dec 27, 2009, at 8:31 PM, Juan Reyero wrote:

Hi Carsten,

On Sun, Dec 27, 2009 at 7:35 PM, Carsten Dominik
<address@hidden> wrote:
On Dec 27, 2009, at 5:34 PM, Juan Reyero wrote:
I have written a function to export org-mode subtrees as jekyll posts, http://juanreyero.com/open/org-jekyll/ The idea is that any entry in an org-publish project that has a :blog: keyword and an :on: property
with a timestamp should be exported to a _posts directory with the
year-month-day-title.html that jekyll expects, with the properties as
front-matter.

I was very happy with it, until I realized that the levels of the
headers in the exported file (h2, h3, etc) depend on the indentation
of the subtree in the outline.  I wanted to be able to add a :blog:
subtree anywhere in my project's files, and get it always exported the
same, regardless of where in the outline it is.

Is there any reasonably simple way to overcome this problem? I am using:

(org-narrow-to-subtree)
(setq html (org-export-as-html nil nil nil 'string t nil))

Hi Juan,

Try this:

(outline-mark-subtree)
(setq html (org-export-as-html nil nil nil 'string t nil))

Thanks for your answer.  I've tried it, but now it exports the whole
buffer, as if (outline-mark-subtree) didn't understand which subtree I
am looking at.  I am doing this from within an (org-map-entries).  If
I first narrow and then mark it doesn't work either: it complains of
"Before first headline at position...".

You are right, this does not work as I had hoped.  What needs to be
done is that the tree must be selected, and the region needs to be *active*
when the export command is called.  I am not quite sure right now
how to do this in the middle of a Lisp program....

- Carsten

I have updated the tests at http://github.com/juanre/org-jekyll to
reflect the problem.

Best,