[Orgmode] Re: Org-expiry: How to define keyword for org-expiry-add-keywo

From: Markus Heller
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: Org-expiry: How to define keyword for org-expiry-add-keyword
Date: Thu, 07 Jan 2010 09:57:33 -0800

On 1/7/2010 9:01 AM, David Maus wrote:
At Tue, 05 Jan 2010 15:26:06 -0800,
Markus Heller wrote:

On 1/5/2010 8:47 AM, David Maus wrote:
Hi Markus,

At Mon, 04 Jan 2010 11:37:45 -0800,
Markus Heller wrote:

If I type M-x org-expiry-process-entries in expiry.org, I get the
following error:

Symbol's function definition is void: org-expiry-handler function

This actually is a bug in org-expiry.el that is fixed with the
attached patch.

Thanks for the patch.

But when I run M-x org-expiry-process-entries in the agenda or in my
example file (see below), I get the following message in the minibuffer:

"The mark is not set now, so there is no region"

When I run M-x org-expiry-process-entry in my example file (see below),
it works!  This command doesn't work in the agenda, but this is by
design, right?

Am I correct in assuming that I should be able to use M-x
org-expiry-process-entries in the agenda?

No. Up to now org-expiry is constructed to work on a per file basis
and `org-expiry-process-entries' even expects the headlines to process
in a region. That is what the first message "The mark is not set now,
so there is no region" complains about.

It seems reasonable to me that org-expiry should provide a function
that processes all headlines in a buffer and processing all headlines
in an agenda view.

Could I ask you to elaborate on the intended use of org-expiry? I'm
not quite sure about how expiry fits in the overall concept of
orgmode.

Hi David,

in the thread "Contracts in org-mode" (Message-ID: <address@hidden>), org-expiry was brought to my attention.

Here's a description of what I try to achieve: I have several Workorders (WO) with different clients. I only can do work for them if a WO has been signed and is active. In my org files, such a WO gets the keyword "ACTIVE". When a WO expires, it gets a keyword "EXPIRED". I have agenda views for "ACTIVE" and "EXPIRED" so that I can see at one glance what is active and what needs to be renewed.

Right now, I manually change the keyword from ACTIVE to EXPIRED (see my example file at the end), but it would be awesome, i.e. really helpful if I could use the agenda view with all ACTIVE WOs and do M-x org-expiry-process-entries.

Does this elaboration make sense to you? I'm open for any kinds of suggestions here ...

Thanks
Markus

Example file (needs org-depend):

* Workorder WOyyyy
** TODO Create WO
   :PROPERTIES:
     :ID: WOyyyy-Create
     :TRIGGER: WOyyyy-Sign(TODO)
   :END:
** PI Signature
   :PROPERTIES:
     :ID: WOyyyy-Sign
     :BLOCKER: WOyyyy-Create
:TRIGGER: WOyyyy-Service(ACTIVE) WOyyyy-Analysis(ACTIVE) WOyyyy-Renew(TODO) WOyyyy-Expire(TODO)
   :END:
** Renew WO
   DEADLINE: <2010-03-31 Wed>
   :PROPERTIES:
     :ID: WOyyyy-Renew
     :BLOCKER: WOyyyy-Sign
   :END:
** Expire WO
   DEADLINE: <2010-03-31 Wed>
   :PROPERTIES:
     :ID: WOyyyy-Expire
     :BLOCKER: WOyyyy-Sign
     :TRIGGER: WOyyyy-Service(EXPIRED) WOyyyy-Analysis(EXPIRED)
   :END:
** Service NMR
   :PROPERTIES:
     :ID: WOyyyy-Service